Hey there everyone! How did the first day of the work week go for you today? That messy mix of snow, sleet, and rain they were expecting? It came (fortunately most of it was while I was in work), but that didn’t mean that we didn’t wake up to raw temperatures this morning.
After taking Morgan out for her walk, I came back in to make a hot, sweet, and comforting breakfast to warm me up – Apple Pie Oats. Maybe it was the Baked Spiced Apples from yesterday morning, maybe it was the chill from coming in from the cold, or maybe it was my sweet tooth kicking in again, but a healthy and delicious breakfast featuring tender apples sounded perfect to me this morning.
In the mix:
- 1/2 cup gluten-free, steel-cut oats
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (although any milk of choice should work)
- 1 Granny Smith apple (although your favorite type of apple would work perfectly too!), cut into chunks, sprinkled with nutmeg, and placed in the microwave for 90 seconds
- 1 Tablespoon milled flax seed (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 packet of Stevia
- A sprinkling of cinnamon
- 1/2 Tablespoon of natural almond butter
*Other toppings you may enjoy include raisins, chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, granola, etc. As always, make it your own!
This bowl was so nutritious, hearty, and satisfying, and the chopped apple really added volume!
The soft apples tasted just like the inside of an apple pie and perfectly combined with the creamy oats, vanilla, and spices. Simple ingredients. Classic flavor.
The balance of protein, complex carbs, and healthy fats kept me full and energized throughout the morning, and a cup of green tea with lemon was all I needed to round out my meal.
Time for a workout! Have a great night everyone.
Question of the Day: Do you prefer a hot or cold breakfast in the morning?
Quote of the Day: “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” – Theodore Roosevelt